I don’t know about you, but I have struggled to answer the “how are you holding up?” question. So much so, I now answer with a blanket “I don’t know,” which is neither helpful nor informative. To overcome this, I’ve dreamed up a list of questions that have sparked far more interesting check-in conversations for me. These questions help incite reflection and develop that deeper sense of connection that we’re all craving in this time. If you have additional questions not mentioned below, please comment on the post and I’ll add them to the official list. Note: these questions apply regardless of relationship type or intent (e.g. from dating to checking in on elderly relatives), it’s always helpful to have some additional conversation starters at your disposal.
- What does your new normal look like? (Note: multiple answers and answers that change daily are okay)
- Which routines or habits have you broken that you’re glad are gone?
- Which routines or habits have you created that you plan to keep?
- What’s something new you’ve learned about yourself?
- What is the first thing you’d want to do if/when everything is back to “normal?“
- How do you manage feelings of guilt related to COVID-19? How does that emotion show up for you?
- What feelings have been brought up for you since we last spoke? Yesterday? How are you managing them?
- What do you think your feelings are trying to signal to you about what you value?
- What has time spent in your thoughts felt like for you?
- What do you need in this moment?
Articulating our Reflections
- Who or what is giving you strength to keep finding your forward?
- What one thing (other than money) would dramatically simplify your life right now? How would it help you?
- Can you tell me about a time that you’ve witnessed true grace since this pandemic started? (modified question from Aunty O)
- What do you think is the world’s biggest wound? How has this pandemic highlighted it or shown us the way through healing it? (modified question from Aunty O)
- What is your biggest wish for all the world’s leaders?